Home | Journeys | Sources | Research Info | About | What's New
Pioneer Recollections, 1941

Page 146
Page 147
Page 148
Page 194
Page 195
194 Pioneer Recollections    
   Located on the west bank of Old Mans Creek, the little village whose Post Office was named Stellapolis, was laid out as a town May 26, 1866. Situated in the south- west quarter of section 10 and the southeast quarter of section 9, township 79, range 10, it was called Williams- burg in honor of its founder, Richard Williams.
   Mr. Williams gave several tracts of land to the town including the town park and the sites for the two school buildings. He had four children, one son. John M. Wil- liams of Paso Robles, California; and three daughters, Mrs. Lizzie Baxter, Mrs. Jennie Jones, and Mrs. Ed H. Jones. The latter was the mother of O. E. Jones and Charles Jones of the Farmers Trust and Savings Bank of Williamsburg. Mrs. T. E. Lewis also of Williamsburg, Francis Jones and Ambrose Jones residing in Idaho.   Mr. Williams also had three step-children as Mrs. Wil- liams was married before and had three children by her marriage to Mr. Pugh. These children were Richard Pugh, David Pugh, and Mrs. T. E. Gittins.
   The first store building was built by Page and Supple and they, with Roger Jones, W. R. Evans, J. E. Jones George Fletcher, W. E. Evans, C. R. King, W. W. Hast- ings, W. M. Williams and Richard Williams were among the first business men.
   The first churches were the Welsh Congregational and the American Congregational. The Welch Congre- gational was founded on October, 26, 1856, at the home of William Evans and the original members were:  Mr. and Mrs. Richard Williams, Mr. and Mrs. Levi H. Wil- liams, Mr. and Mrs. William Rowland, Mrs. John Wat- kins, Hugh C. Evans and David H. Williams. Their first church, was a frame structure, built at a cost of about $1000.00. It was dedicated in the fall of 1859 by the Rev. Evan J. Evans.
   The  American Congregational Church was organized in 1857, by the Rev. W. P. Gale, with seventeen mem- bers. The building was constructed in 1871 at a cost of $1200.00 and Rev. Gale remained its pastor until 1862, followed by Rev. B. T. Jones, Rev. W. A. Patten, and Rev. H. S. Clarke, who was in charge when the new building was completed and until his death in 1873.
   W. R. Evans was elected the first mayor of Williams- burg at an election held soon after it  was  incorporated in 1885. The other officers were: E. M. Long, recorder; C. A. Tylor, assessor; Benjamin Harris, J.E. Jones, W.G.